Chinese Vice Premier: "Prevent Violence in Hong Kong and Focus on People's Livelihood After Electoral Reform"
[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Chun-han] As the Chinese government moves to reform Hong Kong's electoral system to strengthen pro-China forces in Hong Kong, the Chinese Vice Premier revealed China's three-step plan for Hong Kong, according to Hong Kong media reports on the 7th.
According to the report, Han Zheng, a member of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China and Vice Premier in charge of Hong Kong and Macau affairs, said the day before regarding Hong Kong, "After stopping violence and chaos and resolving the electoral system, we will focus on solving issues such as the economy, people's livelihood, and housing."
Regarding the electoral system reform, Vice Premier Han said, "The number of electors for the Hong Kong Chief Executive election and the number of members of the Legislative Council, Hong Kong's parliament, will increase." He explained, "An increase in the number of members of the delegation means the delegation will improve." He added that this electoral reform is not intended to deliberately remove anyone.
China Central Television reported that in the interview, Vice Premier Han emphasized the principle of "One Country, Two Systems," the principle that Hong Kong people govern Hong Kong, and the principle that patriots must govern Hong Kong, stating that Hong Kong's electoral system urgently needs to be reformed to fit the current situation and laws of Hong Kong.
Vice Premier Han stressed that although Hong Kong society fell into chaos after the 2019 protests, it has been controlled since the implementation of the Hong Kong National Security Law last year, and the next step is the reform of Hong Kong's electoral system. However, he did not disclose specific details. In this regard, Lo Kin-hei, chairman of the Democratic Party, Hong Kong's largest opposition party, pointed out to Ming Pao that "Vice Premier Han's statement that the electoral reform is not intended to remove anyone may be very different from China's actual plan."
Earlier, Hong Kong media, citing sources, reported that in this electoral reform, the district council seats will be removed from both the Chief Executive election committee and the Legislative Council members, and a committee will be established to review the qualifications of candidates running for public office.
Chairman Lo said, "If the electoral system is reformed, a candidate vetting committee will be established, and the Chief Executive election committee will nominate candidates for the Legislative Council," adding, "The space for representatives who truly represent public opinion will narrow." He also mentioned that the Democratic Party is considering whether to field candidates in the election.
Meanwhile, Leung Chun-ying, former Chief Executive of Hong Kong, said in a media interview on the same day, "Electoral reform is urgent to prevent those who threaten national security from entering Hong Kong's political arena." He added, "The pro-democracy camp will not accept any electoral reform proposed by the Chinese central government," but stated, "Contrary to critics' remarks, the electoral reform will proceed in a better direction."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
- Suspicious Starbucks Numbers?... 'Tank Day' Controversy Spreads from May 18 to Sewol Ferry and Park Geun-hye
- "Reporters Who First Revealed Jo Jinwoong's Juvenile Offense History Cleared of Juvenile Act Violation"
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
He previously attracted attention by hinting at the possibility of running in the next Chief Executive election in an interview with Reuters. However, in the interview on this day, former Chief Executive Leung said, "I do not want attention focused on whether I will run for Chief Executive," and drew a line by saying, "At this stage, I do not want to talk much."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.