Daegu District Court Finds All Shincheonji Daegu Church Officials 'Not Guilty' of Quarantine Obstruction Charges
Shincheonji Daegu Church "Sincerely Apologizes for the Pain and Wounds Caused by COVID-19"
The photo shows Lee Man-hee, the chairman of Shincheonji Church of Jesus, the Temple of the Tabernacle of the Testimony (Shincheonji), attending a trial held on the afternoon of November 18 last year at the Suwon District Court in Yeongtong-gu, Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do. [Image source=Yonhap News]
View original image[Asia Economy Yeongnam Reporting Headquarters Reporter Park Dong-wook] All Shincheonji Church of Jesus, the Temple of the Tabernacle of the Testimony Daegu Church officials indicted for obstructing the epidemiological investigation of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19) (violations of the Infectious Disease Prevention and Control Act and obstruction of official duties by deception, etc.) were acquitted.
This is the second time that a Shincheonji official prosecuted for obstructing an epidemiological investigation has been acquitted, following Chairman Lee Man-hee (Suwon District Court).
The Criminal Division 11 of Daegu District Court (Presiding Judge Kim Sang-yoon) on the 3rd acquitted all eight defendants, including Daegu Church branch leader Mr. A, in the sentencing trial.
The court stated, "Requesting the submission of the entire list of church members was not an epidemiological investigation as defined by the Infectious Disease Control and Prevention Act and its enforcement decree, but rather a preliminary preparation stage for the epidemiological investigation, so submitting the omitted list cannot be punished as a violation of the law."
Furthermore, the court said, "Since requesting the entire list was a preliminary preparation stage for quarantine and not the quarantine itself, simply not responding to the information provision request cannot be regarded as official duty obstruction," and acquitted the defendants of the charge of obstruction of official duties by deception.
In this regard, Shincheonji Daegu Church stated in a press release, "We respect the court's decision, and at the same time, we sincerely apologize and wish to comfort the local citizens who have suffered pain and wounds from COVID-19."
They continued, "Although a large-scale outbreak occurred from February 18, 2020, for about a month and a half, the confirmed cases stopped as of April 2, 2020, and we have maintained zero confirmed cases to date," adding, "All of this is the result of the dedicated cooperation of quarantine authorities, medical staff, and citizens."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- Controversy Over Mysterious Numbers at Starbucks: From Sewol Ferry and Park Geun-hye to May 18
- 'Tank Day' Controversy Draws International Attention... BBC: "Evokes Bloody Suppression of May 18 Gwangju"
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
Shincheonji Daegu Church said, "Through three rounds of collective plasma donations, a total of 3,741 believers participated, learning that the power to overcome COVID-19 lies in tolerance, love, and unity," and promised, "Regardless of the sentencing result, we will approach COVID-19 infection with a responsible attitude and become a church that contributes to ending COVID-19 and serves society."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.