"Rapid Increase in Fatigue Due to Concentration, Not Shared Burden"
"Showing Leniency to Group Infection Facility Managers Is Not Effective"

Writer and broadcaster Heo Ji-woong / Photo by Yonhap News

Writer and broadcaster Heo Ji-woong / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Juhyung] Writer and broadcaster Heo Ji-woong has criticized the government's COVID-19 quarantine policies. He pointed out that although many people have suffered due to quarantine measures such as bans on gatherings to prevent the spread of infection, these measures lack fairness.


On the 1st, Heo Ji-woong wrote on his Instagram, "During the Lunar New Year holiday, even immediate family members cannot gather in groups of five or more. Social distancing levels will remain at 2.5 in the metropolitan area and level 2 in non-metropolitan areas for the next two weeks. However, considering the pain of small business owners, the government says it will discuss adjusting the levels again next week."


He added, "The success of COVID-19 quarantine over the past year was thanks to citizens' consideration and sacrifice for each other," and pointed out, "If these efforts stop and quarantine fails, it will not be because of the virus but because of fairness."


He emphasized, "Everyone can endure pain that must be borne together, but no one can endure pain that only they must bear."


Heo Ji-woong said, "The rapid increase in citizens' fatigue is not due to sharing the pain but due to concentration," and criticized, "While leniency is shown to facilities and responsible parties where repeated group infections occur, it is unfair and ineffective to force the virtue of sacrifice only on those who voluntarily followed and cared without being told."


He concluded, "I hope for administration and law enforcement that do not betray citizens' goodwill and make them feel a sense of achievement."


COVID-19 Cluster Infection Occurred at IM Mission / Photo by Yonhap News

COVID-19 Cluster Infection Occurred at IM Mission / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


Heo Ji-woong's remarks appear to be criticism aimed at some religious facilities where group infections have continued recently.


Previously, in August last year, the number of confirmed cases increased due to a group infection related to the Sarang Jeil Church in Seoul. After the first confirmed case on the 12th of the same month, the cumulative number of confirmed cases exceeded 1,000 in 17 days. In particular, controversy arose over violations of quarantine laws when Pastor Jeon Gwang-hoon of Sarang Jeil Church forcibly participated in the August 15 Gwanghwamun rally.


Meanwhile, recently, group infections have occurred at the BTJ Yeolhap Center, and group infections have also been reported at 40 unlicensed educational facilities operated by the IM Mission across 11 cities and provinces nationwide, recording a total of 379 cumulative COVID-19 confirmed cases as of the 31st of last month.


Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun is reviewing materials at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters (CDSCH) meeting for COVID-19 response held at the Government Seoul Office Building on the afternoon of the 31st of last month. / Photo by Yonhap News

Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun is reviewing materials at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters (CDSCH) meeting for COVID-19 response held at the Government Seoul Office Building on the afternoon of the 31st of last month. / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


Amid this situation, the government has decided to extend the current social distancing measures until the 14th, the last day of the Lunar New Year holiday.


Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting held on the 31st of last month, "The third wave, which had temporarily slowed down, is threatening our daily lives again, following the IM Mission group infection last week, as well as recent outbreaks in hospitals, workplaces, game rooms, and sports facilities," and stated, "The government intends to extend the current social distancing levels and quarantine standards for two weeks until the end of the Lunar New Year holiday."



As a result, gathering restrictions such as the ban on private meetings of five or more people will also be maintained during this period. Even immediate family members are subject to this without exception if they have different addresses, and if a family with different addresses gathers in a group of five or more and is caught, they must pay a fine of 100,000 won.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing