Government to Announce Social Distancing Adjustment as Early as the 16th (Update)
On the 12th, citizens are receiving tests at a temporary screening clinic for the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) set up at Seoul Plaza. The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters announced that as of midnight, 537 new domestic COVID-19 cases were confirmed, bringing the total to 69,651. Photo by Moon Honam munonam@
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Cho Hyun-ui] The government will announce the quarantine guidelines to be applied after the current social distancing levels as early as the 16th. The current social distancing levels of 2.5 in the metropolitan area and 2 in non-metropolitan areas will be applied until the 17th.
Son Young-rae, head of the Social Strategy Division at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters (CDSCH), said in an online briefing on the 12th regarding the schedule for the new quarantine guidelines announcement, "Usually, announcements have been made on Fridays, but this time it may be announced around Saturday."
The government is currently conducting in-depth discussions on the new quarantine guidelines to be applied after the 17th. Previously, the government set the weekly average daily number of patients at 400 to 500 as the criterion for easing social distancing.
Son said, "Since the criterion for raising the level from 2 to 2.5 is a weekly average of 400 to 500 new confirmed cases, this criterion should be considered importantly," adding, "We will review the adjustment of levels while observing this week's situation."
The government is also considering the phased resumption of operations for businesses under gathering bans, such as indoor sports facilities and academies in the metropolitan area.
Hot Picks Today
"Could I Also Receive 370 Billion Won?"... No Limit on 'Stock Manipulation Whistleblower Rewards' Starting the 26th
- Samsung Electronics Labor-Management Reach Agreement, General Strike Postponed... "Deficit-Business Unit Allocation Deferred for One Year"
- "From a 70 Million Won Loss to a 350 Million Won Profit with Samsung and SK hynix"... 'Stock Jackpot' Grandfather Gains Attention
- "Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
Son said, "Since gathering bans have been in place for six consecutive weeks from last December until the end of this week, we believe there are difficulties in livelihoods," and added, "As it is an important time to maximize the gradual downward trend, we will consider expanding the lifting of operation bans for gathering-ban businesses step by step."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.