[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Cho Hyun-ui] The government announced that it is considering allowing businesses in sectors currently under gathering bans to operate after the current social distancing measures end on the 17th.


Son Young-rae, head of the Social Strategy Division at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters (CDSCH), said at a regular briefing held at the Government Seoul Office on the afternoon of the 10th, "If the current outbreak continues to stabilize, we are reviewing the possibility of allowing businesses in sectors under gathering bans to operate under limited quarantine rules after the 17th."

Decline in Patient Cases... Group Infections Down, Interpersonal Contact Up

The government evaluates that the third wave of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19) has passed its peak and is now on the decline. The average daily number of new locally transmitted confirmed cases over the past week was 738.1, down by 193.2 from the previous week (931.3). The infection reproduction number, which indicates how many people one infected person infects, also dropped below 1 to 0.88.


Son said, "Considering the difficulties faced by the everyday economy, it is understandable that maintaining the gathering ban after the 17th is not easy, but there are indeed various concerns from a quarantine perspective," adding, "(Gathering ban facilities) had many group infections during the early stages of the third wave, and even with strict quarantine rules, they have characteristics that make them vulnerable to infection."


However, the government is taking into account that recent outbreak patterns are being driven more by interpersonal contact such as appointments, gatherings, and travel rather than multi-use facilities, as new group infection cases sharply dropped from 46 to 10 within a week.


Son stated, "Looking at the infection routes, the proportion of group infections, which was in the 60% range in mid-November, decreased to about 30% last week, while the proportion of infections from contact with confirmed cases rose from the 20% range in mid-November to 40% last week," and added, "We must reduce the scale of the outbreak as much as possible by the 17th to cautiously ease quarantine measures."


He also said, "We will discuss with related associations and organizations to develop improvement plans for the operational system after the 17th," and indicated that the government is considering gradually expanding the operation of facilities currently under gathering bans step by step.


On the 8th, in front of the Democratic Party headquarters in Yeouido, Seoul, officials belonging to the National Billiard Hall Representatives Federation held a press conference urging the withdrawal of the gathering ban order and the establishment of effective countermeasures. Photo by Kang Jin-hyung aymsdream@

On the 8th, in front of the Democratic Party headquarters in Yeouido, Seoul, officials belonging to the National Billiard Hall Representatives Federation held a press conference urging the withdrawal of the gathering ban order and the establishment of effective countermeasures. Photo by Kang Jin-hyung aymsdream@

View original image


4.1 Trillion Won Support for Small Business Owners Subject to Gathering Bans and Business Restrictions

Meanwhile, the government will provide 4.1 trillion won in support funds to 2.8 million small business owners who are subject to gathering bans or business restrictions due to quarantine measures or whose sales decreased compared to the previous year.


Since November 24 last year, when social distancing levels 2.5 in the metropolitan area and level 2 in non-metropolitan areas were applied, small business owners who received gathering ban orders will receive 3 million won, and those subject to business restrictions will receive 2 million won. Small business owners with annual sales of 400 million won or less who experienced a decrease in sales compared to 2019 will receive 1 million won.


Additionally, 400,000 small business owners affected by gathering bans or business restrictions will receive special loans totaling 4 trillion won. Gathering ban small business owners, numbering 100,000, will be offered loans with an annual interest rate of 1.9% up to a limit of 10 million won per person. Business restriction small business owners, numbering 300,000, will receive approximately 3 trillion won in funds starting from the 18th, including reductions in guarantee fees.


Existing support programs such as re-challenge encouragement funds, Hope Return Package, Market Management Vouchers, and Onnuri Gift Certificates will also be activated early to help small business owners recover their businesses, sales channels, and revenues. Emergency management stabilization funds will be provided to small and medium-sized enterprises in sectors subject to gathering bans and business restrictions. Special guarantees will be provided to companies affected by COVID-19.



Son said, "Thanks to the self-employed and small business owners who have endured pain and difficulties, we have been able to suppress the third wave and turn the situation around," and added, "We appreciate the small business owners who have actively cooperated with the government's quarantine measures and hope this support will provide some comfort."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing