Freelance Reporter Kim Woong Sentenced to 6 Months for "Son Seok-hee Extortion Attempt"... "Will Appeal" (Comprehensive)
Freelance reporter Kim Woong, who was indicted on charges of demanding employment and money from JTBC CEO Sohn Seok-hee by threatening to report on past vehicle contact accidents, is attending the sentencing hearing held on the morning of the 8th at the Seoul Western District Court in Mapo-gu.
[Image source=Yonhap News]
[Asia Economy Reporter Jeong Dong-hoon] Freelance journalist Kim Woong (50), who was prosecuted on charges of demanding employment and money by threatening to report on a past car accident involving Son Seok-hee, CEO of JTBC, was sentenced to six months in prison and detained in court in the first trial.
Judge Park Yong-geun of Criminal Division 4 at the Seoul Western District Court sentenced Kim, who was charged with attempted extortion, to six months in prison.
In the sentencing hearing, Judge Park stated, "Considering the facts recognized, the defendant's intent to extort is acknowledged." He added, "After hearing rumors about the parking lot incident in August 2018, the defendant contacted the victim and said, 'Please tell me just one reason why this should not be reported,' and after confirming that the victim paid a settlement with personal money, he met the victim and inquired about the hiring process."
He further explained, "When told that hiring was difficult, the defendant sent a text message saying 'I will uphold the principles of journalism' and demanded resolution of employment issues. It is also acknowledged that in January 2019, he met the victim and said, 'Senior, you are no different from others. I will take revenge. I will cut off the head of the kingmaker and bring it to the Chosun Ilbo,'" adding that Kim expressed his intention to appeal immediately after the verdict.
Kim is accused of demanding employment and 240 million won in money from August 2018 to January last year by threatening to report on a past contact accident caused by CEO Son and to file a complaint for assault, but the attempt was unsuccessful.
On May 27, the prosecution requested a sentence of one year and six months in prison for Kim, stating, "The defendant denies the charges and shifts the responsibility onto the victim." The prosecution said, "Although the crime was attempted, considering the long duration of the act, please take this into account."
Hot Picks Today
"It Has Now Crossed Borders": No Vaccine or Treatment as Bundibugyo Ebola Variant Spreads [Reading Science]
- "Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- China's Ministry of Commerce: "Tariff Reductions on $30 Billion Worth of Goods Each With the U.S."
- "Physical Assault and Other Violence"… Final Letter of National Institute of Fisheries Science Researcher
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
This matter became public when Kim claimed to have been assaulted by CEO Son. In January last year, Kim filed a complaint against Son, alleging that Son assaulted him in front of a Japanese restaurant in Sangam-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, causing injuries requiring three weeks of medical treatment. On the other hand, Son counter-sued Kim, claiming, "Rather, Kim illegally requested employment, and when rejected, he threatened me."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.