Widespread Cluster Infections Raise Fears of Second Wave
Faster Infection Spread in US After Economic Reopening and Protests, Infections in China's Capital
Experts Urge "Government and Citizens to Cooperate with Vigilance in Quarantine"

On March 30th (local time), beds were set up in a university stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, which was converted into a temporary hospital to accommodate patients with the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19). / Photo by Yonhap News

On March 30th (local time), beds were set up in a university stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, which was converted into a temporary hospital to accommodate patients with the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19). / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


[Asia Economy reporters Seung-gon Han and intern reporter Juhyung Lim] As new clusters of COVID-19 infections are occurring worldwide, concerns about a 'second pandemic' are growing.


While the number of new cases is rapidly increasing in dozens of U.S. states, China, which had virtually declared the end of COVID-19, has sounded the alarm as new cases have emerged in Beijing after two months. In South Korea, cluster infections are spreading mainly in the Seoul metropolitan area.


Experts have advised that both the government and the public need to actively participate in quarantine efforts with heightened awareness of the possibility of a second wave.


On the 14th (local time), the U.S. media outlet The New York Times reported that the number of new cases is rapidly increasing again in 22 U.S. states. In Arizona, 1,600 new cases were reported in a single day, and in Texas, more than 2,000 new cases have been reported daily.


According to Johns Hopkins University, as of the 15th, the cumulative number of COVID-19 cases in the U.S. surpassed 2.1 million, reaching 2,110,791. The total number of deaths is 116,090.


This upward trend is analyzed to be due to protests against the death of George Floyd, which have continued for more than two weeks since May 26, and the reopening of the economy.


Anthony Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, appeared on the U.S. ABC News podcast on the 12th and said, "Gathering during the COVID-19 situation is dangerous for both protesters and those controlling the protests," emphasizing, "My message is to please endure just a little longer."


On the 15th, people who visited or live near the Xinfadi Market in Beijing, China, are lining up to get tested for COVID-19. / Photo by Yonhap News

On the 15th, people who visited or live near the Xinfadi Market in Beijing, China, are lining up to get tested for COVID-19. / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


Meanwhile, in China, where the number of new cases had remained below 30 for the past two months and the end of COVID-19 was virtually declared, anxiety is growing as cluster infections have occurred in the capital, Beijing.


Earlier, on the 11th, one COVID-19 case was reported at the Xinfadi Market, Beijing's largest agricultural and aquatic products wholesale market. From the 12th to the 16th, dozens of new cases were reported daily, with the cumulative number exceeding 100.


Regarding this, Michael Ryan, WHO Executive Director for Health Emergencies, said at a virtual press briefing at WHO headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, on the 15th, "After 50 days without any reported local infections, cluster infections have occurred," adding, "Beijing is a large and well-connected city, which is concerning."


Chinese media outlet Caixin also expressed concerns about the possibility of a COVID-19 pandemic in an editorial published on the 13th, comparing the Beijing infection situation to the Wuhan Huanan Seafood Market outbreak.


On the morning of the 11th of last month, when the number of COVID-19 confirmed cases related to Itaewon had increased to 75, officials from the Yongsan-gu Public Health Center in Seoul were disinfecting the entertainment district densely packed with nightlife venues in Itaewon. / Photo by Yonhap News

On the morning of the 11th of last month, when the number of COVID-19 confirmed cases related to Itaewon had increased to 75, officials from the Yongsan-gu Public Health Center in Seoul were disinfecting the entertainment district densely packed with nightlife venues in Itaewon. / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


In South Korea, starting with the cluster infection from the Itaewon clubs in early last month, chain infections have occurred in the Seoul metropolitan area, including the Bucheon Coupang logistics center, small gatherings at pioneering churches, and Richway.


Particularly concerning is that patients are occurring in the densely populated Seoul metropolitan area, and the proportion of so-called 'dark figure patients'?those whose infection routes cannot be traced?has exceeded 10%. Previously, the quarantine authorities had set the threshold for returning to everyday social distancing at a dark figure patient rate below 5%.


Domestic and international experts advise that both the government and the public should actively participate in quarantine efforts, keeping in mind the possibility of a second wave.


William Schaffner, professor of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, appeared on the U.S. broadcast CNBC on the 15th and said, "The second wave has already begun," pointing out, "We (the U.S.) have already reopened the economy, but many people still do not wear masks or practice social distancing."


He added, "Government and industry leaders should promote mask-wearing and social distancing to citizens," and suggested, "Such distancing needs to be socially accepted."


Kim Woo-joo, professor of infectious diseases at Korea University Guro Hospital, said in a phone interview with Asia Economy on the 16th, "The reason Korea was successful in the initial response was because the government and the public cooperated," emphasizing, "To prevent a second wave, both the government and the public need to maintain vigilance."



He continued, "Rather than promoting the achievements in suppressing cluster infections in Daegu and Gyeongbuk, the government should approach quarantine efforts with tension," advising, "The public also needs to make mask-wearing and social distancing a part of daily life."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing