Reopening of Exhibition Facilities on the First Day of Everyday Quarantine
Restrictions such as Limited Capacity and Advance Reservations

On the First Day of Everyday Quarantine, Exhibitions and Performances... Spring Returns View original image


[Asia Economy Reporters Choi Daeyeol, Jeong Donghoon, Jo Hyunui] At 10 a.m. on the 6th, at the National Museum of Korea in Yongsan-gu, Seoul. Visitors waiting at the entrance stood maintaining a 2-meter distance from each other. This place, which had been closed for 72 days since late February due to the spread of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19), began accepting visitors by reservation from this day. Stickers were placed on the floor near the entrance to ensure visitors keep their distance.


At the museum staff's request, "Please stand apart," about 30 visitors orderly maintained the queue. All visitors wore masks as they entered. Bae Suhwan (62), who visited the museum, said, "Visiting exhibitions and performance halls was my only hobby, but I was distressed because I couldn't come due to COVID-19," adding, "I'm relieved that viewing is resuming starting today."


On the 6th, as the 'social distancing' measures to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19) were shifted to 'everyday distancing,' citizens lined up to enter the National Museum of Korea in Yongsan-gu, Seoul. Photo by Moon Honam munonam@

On the 6th, as the 'social distancing' measures to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19) were shifted to 'everyday distancing,' citizens lined up to enter the National Museum of Korea in Yongsan-gu, Seoul. Photo by Moon Honam munonam@

View original image


Transition to Everyday Quarantine System after 45 Days

The first day of transition from social distancing, which had been in place for one month and fifteen days since March 22, to everyday quarantine. Indoor crowded facilities such as exhibition and performance halls that had been closed reopened with restrictions. The National Museum of Korea accepted visitors through reservations on its website. Online reservation holders undergo mask-wearing and temperature checks at the entrance of the permanent exhibition hall. The hourly admission limit is 300 people to avoid crowding. After the museum reopening was announced on the 4th, most time-slot applicants exceeded 250 within two days.


A museum official said, "Educational programs and cultural events involving many people will not resume," adding, "We will review the resumption of face-to-face services while monitoring the implementation of everyday social distancing."


The National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, which started accepting advance reservations from this day, limits visitors to 50-100 per session. Considering that the Seoul branch used to receive about 4,000 visitors daily, even if fully booked, only about one-tenth of the usual number will be admitted. Choi Wonil, Planning and Operations Director of the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, said, "Each museum, such as Deoksugung and Gwacheon, accepts advance reservations according to their size, and visitors undergo temperature checks and identity verification upon entry," adding, "There are no plans for side events for the time being, and basic distancing measures such as maintaining space between visitors inside will continue."


On the 6th, when the government ended 'social distancing' to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and shifted to 'everyday quarantine,' citizens wearing masks were heading to work at Sindorim Station in Guro-gu, Seoul. Photo by Kang Jin-hyung aymsdream@

On the 6th, when the government ended 'social distancing' to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and shifted to 'everyday quarantine,' citizens wearing masks were heading to work at Sindorim Station in Guro-gu, Seoul. Photo by Kang Jin-hyung aymsdream@

View original image


Health Authorities Warn of 'Silent Transmission'

Until now, various government briefings were conducted online to avoid face-to-face contact, but from this day, the press corps began attending in person. The Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters (including the Accident Response Headquarters) and the Central Disease Control Headquarters, which have held over 200 briefings so far, conducted online briefings during the social distancing period. From this day, limited on-site briefings were held in the briefing room with attendees wearing masks and sitting spaced apart. Due to limited attendance, some questions were accepted via chat rooms.


Although the system has shifted to everyday quarantine, health authorities remain vigilant. While new confirmed cases have decreased to single digits compared to before, there are still some patients whose infection sources cannot be identified. Kwon Junwook, Deputy Director of the Central Disease Control Headquarters, said the day before, "We remain cautious because we think silent transmission may be continuing among vulnerable groups or blind spots in the community or among untested groups." Professor Lee Jaegap of the Department of Infectious Diseases at Hallym University Kangnam Sacred Heart Hospital said on 'Kim Hyunjung's News Show' that "Some recently confirmed asymptomatic cases suggest that community transmission may not have completely subsided," adding, "When opening high-risk or densely populated facilities, it might have been better to conduct random testing to ensure safety and open gradually."


Meanwhile, two new COVID-19 cases confirmed on this day were both detected during quarantine. There were no community infections for the third consecutive day. As of midnight, the total number of confirmed cases in the country was 10,806, with 9,333 released from isolation, and the number of patients under treatment decreased to 1,218.



On the 4th, briefings by the Ministry of Health and Welfare and the Ministry of Education were held at the government Seoul office briefing room, showing contrasting scenes. The regular Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters briefing by the Ministry of Health and Welfare in the morning (above) was conducted online without recruiting reporters, while the Ministry of Education's announcement on in-person classes in the afternoon was held with the briefing room filled with attending reporters and Ministry of Education officials.<Image: Yonhap News>

On the 4th, briefings by the Ministry of Health and Welfare and the Ministry of Education were held at the government Seoul office briefing room, showing contrasting scenes. The regular Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters briefing by the Ministry of Health and Welfare in the morning (above) was conducted online without recruiting reporters, while the Ministry of Education's announcement on in-person classes in the afternoon was held with the briefing room filled with attending reporters and Ministry of Education officials.

View original image



This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing