Minister Kim Yeon-cheol Visits Panmunjom Area Today

U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean Chairman Kim Jong-un are shaking hands at Panmunjom on the afternoon of June 30 last year. President Moon Jae-in is watching them.

U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean Chairman Kim Jong-un are shaking hands at Panmunjom on the afternoon of June 30 last year. President Moon Jae-in is watching them.

View original image


Amid North Korean troops firing shots at a South Korean military guard post (GP) in the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) in Gangwon Province on the 3rd without expressing any apology, the government has begun preparations to resume tours of Panmunjom.


On the 6th, Yeosang-gi, spokesperson for the Ministry of Unification, stated at a regular briefing held at the Government Seoul Office, "Minister of Unification Kim Yeon-cheol is visiting the Panmunjom area from 10 a.m. to check on preparations for resuming Panmunjom tours."


Minister Kim plans to visit not only Panmunjom but also dismantled GPs in the Paju area. Spokesperson Ye explained, "The dismantled GPs in the Paju area are included in the 'DMZ Peace Trail' and are located geographically near the Panmunjom area."


Ye stated that preparations to resume Panmunjom tours are unrelated to the GP shooting incident. He said, "Minister Kim's visit to Panmunjom was scheduled in advance," adding, "The GP where the shooting occurred and Panmunjom are geographically quite far apart."


Ye added, "This visit is to check on the preparations for resuming Panmunjom tours, so the relevance to the central front GP was not significantly considered."


North Korea has yet to express any regret following the shooting incident on the 3rd.


Ye said, "As far as I know, North Korea has not issued any statement regarding incidents similar to the GP shooting," and explained, "Based on past precedents, North Korea often does not respond at all to policy controversies or issues with many disputes."


Yeosang-gi, Spokesperson of the Ministry of Unification <Photo by Yonhap News>

Yeosang-gi, Spokesperson of the Ministry of Unification

View original image


Furthermore, the government reaffirmed its existing position to comprehensively review cooperation with North Korea in medical and health sectors.


Spokesperson Ye said, "Regarding cooperation on epidemic prevention with North Korea, North Korea's response is necessary, so the government is conducting an internal comprehensive review," but added, "Nothing is currently at the implementation stage." He further stated, "If there is a response from the North, we will appropriately respond according to conditions and circumstances, such as making proposals matching their response."


The reopening of the Kaesong Inter-Korean Joint Liaison Office, which was temporarily closed last January due to the COVID-19 pandemic, remains undecided.


Ye said, "The return to the Kaesong Joint Liaison Office is conditional on the 'complete resolution of the COVID-19 situation,'" adding, "Once that condition is met, it will be decided in consultation with the North at an appropriate time."


He added, "Since there is a counterpart, it is not something we can decide unilaterally; consultation with the North is necessary," and said, "At least when it is objectively and reasonably judged that COVID-19 has subsided to a level understandable to the general public, then the South and North will consult and decide."



Regarding foreign media reports that North Korea is constructing facilities related to expanding its ballistic missile program near 'Sinri' close to Pyongyang Sunan International Airport, the Ministry of Unification remained tight-lipped. Spokesperson Ye said, "We have seen the related reports," but added, "It is not appropriate for the Ministry of Unification to publicly comment on North Korean military information."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing