North Korea Refutes Trump's Briefing Within Half a Day
"Will Analyze Intent Behind Spreading Baseless Claims to Media"
"Relations Between North Korea and US Leaders Should Not Be Exploited for Selfish Purposes"

On June 30 last year, North Korean State Affairs Commission Chairman Kim Jong-un (left) met with U.S. President Donald Trump at Panmunjom.

On June 30 last year, North Korean State Affairs Commission Chairman Kim Jong-un (left) met with U.S. President Donald Trump at Panmunjom.

View original image


Just half a day after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that he had received a letter from Chairman Kim Jong-un, North Korea denied the claim, stating it was "completely untrue."


On the 19th, North Korea issued a statement under the name of the "Director of the Foreign Affairs Department's External Reporting Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea," making this announcement.


In the statement, North Korea said, "On the 18th, U.S. media reported that the U.S. President mentioned during a press conference that he had received a 'good letter' from our supreme leadership." It added, "While it is unclear whether the President was referring to letters exchanged in the past, our supreme leadership has not sent any letters to the U.S. President recently."


Furthermore, it stated, "We plan to closely analyze the intentions of the U.S. leadership, who are spreading baseless information to the media."


The Director of the External Reporting Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs also warned, "The relationship between the heads of North Korea and the U.S. is never a topic to be casually mentioned at any time, and especially should not be exploited for selfish purposes."


Earlier, on the 18th (local time), President Trump introduced during a White House briefing of the COVID-19 task force, "I received a good letter from Chairman Kim." He also said, "I have a good relationship with Kim Jong-un."


However, he did not specify the timing or content of the letter.


At the briefing, President Trump also said, "If I had not been elected, the U.S. would be at war with North Korea right now."


He stated, "I have a good relationship with Kim Jong-un," adding, "Having a good relationship is not a bad thing." He continued, "We are doing well with North Korea," and "We will see how everything ends."


However, with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' External Reporting Office fully denying the sending of any letter in its statement that day, further controversy is expected.


Earlier this year, the two leaders engaged in "letter diplomacy" through correspondence.


President Trump sent a congratulatory letter for Chairman Kim's birthday in January. Additionally, through a statement on March 22 by Kim Yo-jong, First Deputy Director of the Workers' Party and Kim Jong-un's sister, it was revealed that President Trump had sent a letter to Chairman Kim explaining his vision for advancing North Korea-U.S. relations and expressing willingness to cooperate on COVID-19 prevention.



Meanwhile, a senior official from the Blue House also conveyed during a briefing on the 19th that President Trump had informed President Moon Jae-in in advance before disclosing the matter to the media.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing