"Wuhan's First COVID-19 Case Showed Symptoms in Mid-December Last Year"
[Asia Economy Reporter Cho Hyun-ui] Among the initial confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19) first disclosed by the authorities of Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China, it has been reported that some patients unrelated to the seafood market, which was initially identified as the origin, showed symptoms as early as the end of last year.
Chinese media outlet Pengpai reported on the 26th (local time) that it had obtained the list of 27 patients first announced by the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission on December 31 of last year. According to Pengpai, among the initial 27 confirmed cases, only 24 were related to the Huanan Seafood Market, while 3 were not.
The Huanan Seafood Market was known to slaughter and sell not only seafood but also various wild animals, and there had been suggestions that the virus might have been transmitted to humans from wild animals such as bats present in the market.
One of the confirmed patients unrelated to the Huanan Seafood Market, Mr. Cheon, showed symptoms in December last year. In an interview, he said, "I still do not know how I was infected." Mr. Cheon speculated, "In the fifteen days before the onset, I did not go anywhere except to work at the company," adding, "It is most likely that I was infected on the subway, or possibly at a hospital."
He also expressed confusion that none of his family members tested positive despite not taking protective measures after he contracted the disease.
Meanwhile, Pengpai explained that among the initial 27 confirmed cases disclosed by Wuhan authorities, the earliest symptom onset was on December 11. The first confirmed case in the Huanan Seafood Market, Mr. Wei, was a market vendor whose home was about 500 meters in a straight line from the market.
After symptoms appeared, he initially thought it was the flu and received two injections at a local clinic. Later, he visited a larger hospital for an X-ray, but no clear cause was found, and he was prescribed only medication. Mr. Wei explained, "The next day, I went to another clinic for an injection, but it had no effect," adding, "My condition worsened and my health deteriorated. Then, on December 16, I visited Xiehe Hospital."
In an interview with Pengpai, Mr. Wei said, "It seemed that no one had contracted this disease before me." However, he also said, "The doctor at Xiehe Hospital said this disease was very serious. I found it strange when I heard the doctor say that several people from the Huanan Seafood Market had it."
Hot Picks Today
"Samsung and Hynix Were Once for the Underachievers"... Hyundai Motor Employee's Lament
- After Topping 8,000 Instead of Hitting 10,000... KOSPI Plunges—When Will It Rebound?
- "What? It Wasn't a Wristwatch?" This Brand's Stock Soared 15%, Then Plunged After Official Announcement
- [Breaking] Court Rules Against Samsung Electronics Union...1 Billion Won per Day Penalty for Exceeding Strike Scope
- "That? It's Already Stashed" Nightlife Scene Crosses the Line [ChwiYak Nation] ③
Pengpai revealed that none of the initial 27 patients had contact with live poultry, and among them, four were family members. It also added that 11 of the confirmed cases related to the Huanan Seafood Market, like Mr. Wei, had received injections at small clinics.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.