Korea-Japan Meet Again After 3 Months, No Progress on 'Forced Labor and Export Controls'
6th Director-General Level Talks Go in Circles
Both Korea and Japan Reaffirm Existing Positions
Reportedly No Discussion on 'Moon Hee-sang Proposal' Regarding Forced Labor
[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Cheol-young] South Korean and Japanese diplomatic authorities held director-general level talks on bilateral issues such as the forced labor compensation ruling and Japan's unilateral export restrictions after about three months, but concluded without showing significant progress. The so-called 'Moon Hee-sang 1+1+α Plan,' which had attracted attention as an alternative, reportedly was not even brought to the discussion table, indicating that there is still a long way to go.
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the 7th, Kim Jeong-han, Director-General of the Asia-Pacific Bureau of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, held director-general level talks with Takizaki Shigeki, Director-General of the Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau of Japan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Seoul from 3 p.m. for two hours and 40 minutes the previous day, exchanging views on mutual interests. The director-general level talks were held for the first time in three months since November 15 last year, one week before the termination of the Korea-Japan General Security of Military Information Agreement (GSOMIA). Although they met in December last year and January this year, the main agenda was preparation for the foreign ministers' meeting.
A Ministry of Foreign Affairs official explained, "Director-General Kim reiterated South Korea's position on forced labor and urged the prompt withdrawal of Japan's export restrictions," adding, "Director-General Takizaki mentioned Japan's position regarding these issues." The Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs also issued a press release after the Korea-Japan director-general talks, stating, "We strongly demanded that South Korea take responsibility and propose a solution," and mentioned that although South Korea raised issues regarding export restrictions, Japan explained its position.
Both sides, meeting after a long time, had raised expectations that they would proceed with bilateral talks on advanced proposals through this consultation, but it appears they once again clashed firmly over principles. The South Korean government has insisted on abiding by the Supreme Court's forced labor compensation ruling from October 2018 and demanded the withdrawal of unilateral export restrictions. On the other hand, Japan has maintained its stance that the Supreme Court ruling violates international law based on the 1965 Korea-Japan Claims Agreement. A diplomatic source familiar with the negotiations said, "South Korea thinks there has been too little progress compared to expectations," and "South Korea is understood to have strongly demanded the prompt withdrawal of export restrictions more than ever."
The South Korean government views Japan's efforts to withdraw the unilateral export restrictions imposed in July last year as insufficient. Earlier, Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha said at a press conference on the morning of the 6th, "There have been dialogues between export authorities, but it is not a return to the situation before July 1 last year," and added, "We have the right to reactivate the effects of GSOMIA termination at any time and plan to exercise this right based on national interests." It is reported that Japan reiterated its existing position that forced labor and export restrictions are separate issues.
Meanwhile, the 'Moon Hee-sang Plan,' which had been noted as an alternative, was reportedly not even mentioned. The plan proposed by National Assembly Speaker Moon Hee-sang involves establishing a foundation funded voluntarily by companies and citizens of both Korea and Japan to provide compensation to victims, the so-called '1+1+α Plan.' However, regarding the imminent cashing of Japanese companies' assets in South Korea forcibly seized following the 2018 South Korean Supreme Court ruling, Japan reportedly maintained its previous stance of "violation of international law and consequent damage to Japanese companies." A government official said, "Compared to previous talks, it was difficult to sense even a nuance change in Japan's position," adding, "There is still a long way to go before substantial progress."
Meanwhile, the South Korean and Japanese governments agreed in this consultation to closely cooperate to ensure smooth sharing of information related to the response to the novel coronavirus infection (Wuhan pneumonia). A Ministry of Foreign Affairs official said, "Director-General Kim requested the Japanese government to pay special attention to protecting Koreans in Japan and preventing damage," and added, "Both directors-general agreed on the importance of continuing communication and consultations between diplomatic authorities to resolve issues between the two countries."
Hot Picks Today
"Samsung and Hynix Were Once for the Underachievers"... Hyundai Motor Employee's Lament
- "Sold Everything Fearing Bankruptcy, Then It Soared 3,900 Times: How a Stock Once Feared for Delisting Became an AI Powerhouse"
- "All Major Corporations Could Leave"... Business Community Fears Overseas Factory Relocation Due to Strike Risks
- Guri Apartment Transactions Soar Fourfold Amid Seoul Regulations... Gyeonggi and Incheon Up 33% [Real Estate AtoZ]
- "That? It's Already Stashed" Nightlife Scene Crosses the Line [ChwiYak Nation] ③
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.