Luxembourg’s Foreign Minister Firmly Rejects Deployment to Hormuz Strait

Luxembourg, a small European country with a population of 700,000, has openly rejected U.S. President Donald Trump’s call to participate in military operations in the Strait of Hormuz and sharply criticized the move, stating that “international law is under threat.”


On March 16 (local time), the Luxembourg daily “Le Sensiel” reported that Xavier Bettel, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Luxembourg, said during a European Union (EU) meeting, “Intimidation is not what we wanted,” expressing Luxembourg’s stance.


Xavier Bettel, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Luxembourg. Photo by AFP News Agency

Xavier Bettel, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Luxembourg. Photo by AFP News Agency

View original image

Minister Bettel pointed out, “It is rather peculiar when someone creates their own chaos and then says, ‘Now we need to figure out how others can help.’”


He also criticized the U.S. government’s decision to ease sanctions on Russian crude oil in order to curb the surge in international oil prices. Minister Bettel remarked, “There is one person who must be truly delighted. The person sitting over there eating popcorn keeps getting richer, and that’s Putin.” He added, “Who do you think they’ll thank? That person in the White House.”


On that day, after discussing how to respond to President Trump’s request to deploy troops to the Strait of Hormuz, the foreign ministers of EU member states ultimately agreed not to become involved in the ongoing war. According to media reports, some member states, such as Denmark and Poland, expressed a somewhat conciliatory stance by stating they were “open to discussion,” but Luxembourg maintained a firm position. Luxembourg is the second smallest country among the 27 EU member states.


Minister Bettel especially warned that violations of international law could leave small nations like Luxembourg vulnerable. He had previously criticized the U.S. military’s ousting of former Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, stating, “The international law that protects us is being trampled,” and emphasized, “We cannot simply turn a blind eye to one side while calling the other an aggressor.”



Meanwhile, Minister Bettel served as the Prime Minister of Luxembourg for 10 years starting in 2013.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing