Analysis Suggests Imminent Use of Force Against Venezuela
Trump: "We Could Have Dialogue with Maduro"

On November 16 (local time), the Donald Trump administration in the United States identified the Venezuela-based criminal organization "Cartel de los Soles" (Cartel of the Suns) as being led by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and announced plans to designate it as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO).


US Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated in a press release that day, "The State Department intends to designate the Soles as an FTO effective November 24."

Nicolas Maduro, President of Venezuela. Photo by AFP Yonhap News

Nicolas Maduro, President of Venezuela. Photo by AFP Yonhap News

View original image

He went on to directly mention President Maduro, saying, "The Soles, based in Venezuela, are led by high-ranking officials of the Maduro regime, who have corrupted Venezuela's military, intelligence agencies, legislature, and judiciary."


Secretary Rubio asserted, "Maduro and his associates do not represent the legitimate government of Venezuela," and added, "The Soles, along with other designated FTOs such as Tren de Aragua and the Sinaloa Cartel, are responsible for terrorist violence throughout our hemisphere and for drug trafficking to the United States and Europe."


He further stated, "The United States will continue to use every possible means to protect our national security interests and cut off funding and resources to narco-terrorists."


On the same day, the US Department of Defense (Department of War) increased military pressure on the Maduro regime by deploying the world's largest nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, the Gerald R. Ford, to the Caribbean Sea. With President Maduro being identified as the head of the Soles, there is analysis suggesting that the use of military force against Venezuela may be imminent.


Previously, the New York Times reported that the Trump administration was preparing various military options against Venezuela and could justify such actions by naming President Maduro as the central figure of the Soles.


The Trump administration has defined drug and criminal cartels in Central and South America as non-state armed groups and has claimed to be in a state of armed conflict with them. This is an attempt to frame attacks aimed at ousting the Maduro regime as actions against terrorist organization combatants, thereby avoiding criticism and legal disputes over violations of international law or the lack of congressional approval for war with a foreign country.



However, President Trump told reporters that day, "We could have some dialogue with Maduro," and added, "We'll see what happens." He also said, "They want to have a conversation (with the United States)." Earlier, in an interview with CBS broadcast on November 2, President Trump responded affirmatively when asked if it seemed that President Maduro's time in office was running out, but drew a line regarding the possibility of waging war against Venezuela, saying, "I don't think so."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing