Head of Missile General Bureau, Jang Chang-ha North Korea Defense Science Institute Director
Organization First Identified in February This Year... Responsible for Nuclear Force

It has been confirmed that Jang Chang-ha, director of North Korea's Academy of Defense Science, has taken charge of the 'Missile General Bureau,' responsible for strengthening and developing nuclear forces. The existence of the Missile General Bureau was first revealed during the expanded meeting of the Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party in February this year. Our authorities have estimated that this organization, established in April 2016, has been overseeing the production management and administration of North Korea's nuclear and missile weapon systems.


An official from the Ministry of Unification told reporters on the 19th that, based on North Korean state media reports, they confirmed Jang Chang-ha's military uniform bore a name tag identifying him as the head of the Missile General Bureau. A photo from the Rodong Sinmun, reporting on a luncheon event during Kim Jong-un’s visit to the Russian Pacific Fleet base on the 17th of last month, captured Jang wearing a name tag labeled 'Missile General Bureau Chief.'


Director Jang Chang-ha of North Korea's Academy of National Defense Science instructing the test launch of the intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) 'Hwasong-18' in April this year. The Ministry of Unification revealed that he is also understood to be the head of the Missile General Bureau.

Director Jang Chang-ha of North Korea's Academy of National Defense Science instructing the test launch of the intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) 'Hwasong-18' in April this year. The Ministry of Unification revealed that he is also understood to be the head of the Missile General Bureau.

View original image

The existence of the Missile General Bureau was first identified last February. Since then, figures such as Jang Chang-ha, director of the Academy of Defense Science, and Kim Jong-sik, deputy director of the Military Industry Department, have appeared wearing the Missile General Bureau insignia on their uniforms, but the exact head was confirmed for the first time this time. Jang has consistently appeared at major North Korean weapons development sites and was promoted to general last November in recognition of his contributions to the development of the ICBM Hwasong-17. He is also listed on the United Nations Security Council, as well as South Korean and U.S. sanctions lists targeting North Korea.


The Ministry of Unification official said, "Considering the emblem on the flag, which depicts a combination of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) and a nuclear symbol, the Missile General Bureau is presumed to be the agency directly responsible for the strengthening and development of nuclear forces, including missiles," adding, "We will closely monitor related personnel movements in the future."


Additionally, the Ministry of Unification noted that Ri Son-gwon, head of the Party's United Front Department, has been identified at major events in a separate position rather than within the group of candidate members of the Political Bureau, suggesting the possibility that he has been removed from the candidate membership. Ri Son-gwon was spotted in a different position rather than among candidate members during the Central Reporting Conference held to commemorate the founding of the regime on September 9 and during the welcoming and farewell events for Kim Jong-un’s visit to Russia.



Meanwhile, the Ministry of Unification reported that before Kim Jong-un departed for Russia on the 10th of last month, a 'red document' held by Party Vice Director Kim Yo-jong was seen being handed over to General Staff Chief Ri Yong-gil at the railway station, and that Ri Yong-gil was observed carrying it. An official from the Ministry of Unification said, "It is presumed to be a military-related document containing Kim Jong-un’s sign intended for the General Staff Chief staying in Pyongyang," and assessed that it might have included instructions related to the short-range ballistic missile (SRBM) launch on the 13th of the same month or the strengthening of military readiness during the visit of top military officials to Russia.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing