The South African Department of Foreign Affairs claimed on the 12th (local time) that the United States, which raised suspicions that the Republic of Africa provided weapons for the Ukraine war to Russia, has apologized.


[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

According to BBC, the South African Department of Foreign Affairs stated on the same day that Luban Bridget, the U.S. ambassador to South Africa who raised the suspicion, "has fully apologized" for her claims.


Ambassador Bridget also said on Twitter that after a conversation with Naredi Pandor, South Africa's Minister of Foreign Affairs, "I was grateful for the opportunity to correct the misunderstanding caused by my public remarks."


The previous day, Ambassador Bridget claimed, "We are paying attention to a cargo ship docked at the Simon Town naval base in Cape Town, southern South Africa, from December 6 to 8 last year," adding, "This ship definitely loaded weapons and ammunition before returning to Russia." She also urged South Africa, which maintains close relations with Russia, to "remain neutral."


The White House expressed concern about South Africa's stance. John Kirby, the White House National Security Council (NSC) Coordinator for Strategic Communications, explained, "This is a serious issue," and said the U.S. has continuously urged countries not to support Russia.


In response, South Africa denied ever selling weapons to Russia. President Cyril Ramaphosa also ordered an investigation into the facts.



Although the U.S. apology has settled the suspicion for now, South Africa protested, saying, "We cannot be bullied by the United States." South African politician Humbuzo Ngutshaveni said, "It is the United States that imposes sanctions on Russia," adding, "The U.S. should not drag us into its issues with Russia."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing