Son Joon-sung, head of the Litigation Department at the Seoul High Prosecutors' Office, who has been indicted on allegations of instigating a report, is attending a trial at the Seoul Central District Court in Seocho-gu, Seoul. Photo by Kang Jin-hyung aymsdream@

Son Joon-sung, head of the Litigation Department at the Seoul High Prosecutors' Office, who has been indicted on allegations of instigating a report, is attending a trial at the Seoul Central District Court in Seocho-gu, Seoul. Photo by Kang Jin-hyung aymsdream@

View original image

[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Hyung-min] It has been revealed that the initial investigation team of the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office, which investigated the 'accusation fabrication' suspicion, tentatively concluded that the Telegram message saying 'Sent by Son Jun-sung' was transmitted in the order from Prosecutor Son Jun-sung to Kim Woong, a member of the People Power Party, and then to Cho Sung-eun.


The Criminal Division 27 of the Seoul Central District Court (Chief Judge Kim Ok-gon) summoned and questioned Jeong Mo, an investigator of the Public Investigation Division 1 of the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office who was in charge of the initial investigation, on the 19th during the first trial of Son Jun-sung, head of the Seoul High Prosecutors' Office Litigation Department, on charges of violating the Public Official Election Act.


The High-ranking Officials' Crime Investigation Office (HOCI) disclosed the investigation report prepared by the prosecution investigation team at the court. The responsible prosecutor wrote in the report, "The suspicion that the informant may have manipulated the Telegram message can no longer be raised, and it has been clearly proven that the original creator and transmitter of the message were Son Jun-sung and Kim Woong."


Then, the HOCI prosecutor asked, "Is it correct that the investigation team concluded this and recorded it in the investigation report?" and Jeong replied, "Yes."


When the presiding judge asked again, "Did the investigation team confirm that the draft of the complaint, including the judgment document, was transmitted from the defendant (Head Son) to Kim Woong, and from Kim Woong to Cho Sung-eun?" Jeong said, "Yes, we proceeded with the case sharing it in that way."


He added, "If you read the forensic reports of the prosecutors involved in the investigation, you can sufficiently reach that conclusion." He also said, "As an investigator, just looking at the report, I think illegal acts were committed."


However, when asked by Head Son's defense attorney, "Do you know who ultimately wrote the complaint in this case?" Jeong answered, "I have no idea."



The Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office received the case on September 14 last year and investigated it, then transferred the case to HOCI on the 30th of the same month. At that time, the prosecution said, "The investigation confirmed facts and circumstances involving a current prosecutor." HOCI indicted Head Son without detention in May, and transferred Kim Woong, who is not subject to indictment under the HOCI Act, to the prosecution. However, the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office dismissed the charges against Kim Woong in September due to lack of evidence to prove his guilt. This was because the initial informant Cho's testimony was reversed, and there was a judgment that there was a possibility of transmission by a third party.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing