Jeon Searches Victim's Residence and Workplace Four Times at Subway Station
"Stalking Crimes Are Relational Crimes... Different from Psychopaths"
Police Transfer Jeon Juhwan to Prosecutors on the 21st

Suspect Jeon Juhwan in the 'Sindang Station Stalking Murder' case is being transferred from the Namdaemun Police Station detention center in Jung-gu, Seoul to the prosecution on the 21st. Photo by Moon Honam munonam@

Suspect Jeon Juhwan in the 'Sindang Station Stalking Murder' case is being transferred from the Namdaemun Police Station detention center in Jung-gu, Seoul to the prosecution on the 21st. Photo by Moon Honam munonam@

View original image

[Asia Economy Reporter Gong Byung-sun] Jeon Ju-hwan, who is accused of murdering a station attendant at Sindang Station of the Seoul subway, is believed to have decided to commit the crime from the time he was sentenced to 9 years in prison by the prosecution. After receiving a heavy sentence, he committed the crime out of resentment toward the victim. Meanwhile, the police judged that Jeon Ju-hwan does not show psychopathic tendencies, considering stalking crimes as relational crimes.


On the 21st, the Seoul Jungbu Police Station explained that Jeon appeared to have decided to commit the crime on August 18, when he was sentenced by the prosecution. At that time, the prosecution requested a 9-year prison sentence for Jeon, who was on trial for violating the Special Act on the Punishment of Sexual Crimes and the Stalking Punishment Act. The sentencing trial for the case was scheduled for the 15th of this month but was postponed to the 29th due to Jeon committing the crime. A police official stated, "Jeon said about his motive for the crime, 'My life was ruined through the trial. This is because of the victim.'"


Visited the victim's previous residences a total of 5 times... "Approached with the intent to commit the crime"
Suspect Jeon Juhwan in the 'Sindang Station Stalking Murder' case is being transferred from the Namdaemun Police Station detention center in Jung-gu, Seoul to the prosecution on the 21st. Photo by Moon Honam munonam@

Suspect Jeon Juhwan in the 'Sindang Station Stalking Murder' case is being transferred from the Namdaemun Police Station detention center in Jung-gu, Seoul to the prosecution on the 21st. Photo by Moon Honam munonam@

View original image

Jeon searched the victim's workplace and residence a total of 4 times at subway station offices. Once at Jeungsan Station on August 18, once at the same station on the 3rd of this month, and twice on the 14th at Jeungsan and Gusan Stations. Jeungsan Station is near Jeon's own residence, and Gusan Station is close to the victim's former residence, so it appears he used these stations accordingly. He told subway station staff that he was an employee on leave. Naturally, the staff did not suspect him as they saw him entering IDs and passwords. At that time, Jeon had been suspended from his position by Seoul Metro.


Based on this information, it was confirmed that Jeon visited the victim's previous addresses a total of 5 times: once on the 5th, once on the 9th, once on the 13th, and twice on the 14th of this month. The police estimate that even when he visited before the day of the crime, he approached with the intent to commit the crime. Besides the 14th when the crime was committed, Jeon was known to carry gloves and a shower cap in his bag. However, since February 15, after being investigated by the prosecution, Jeon did not contact the victim separately.


The police believe he brought gloves and a shower cap to avoid leaving evidence. A police official said, "He stated that he wore the shower cap to prevent hair loss during conflicts with the victim," adding, "Regarding the gloves, he said he purchased them for work or other purposes." Although the weapon used in the crime was purchased last year, Jeon stated that he bought it considering extreme self-harm rather than committing a crime.


Additionally, the evidence phone was reset twice earlier this month. Afterward, a GPS signal jamming application was installed on the phone to avoid location tracking. Jeon reportedly stated, "I installed the application because I did not want my location to be revealed." However, the police explained that other evidence such as a tablet and an external hard drive were either broken, old, or password-protected, so no meaningful evidence was found.


"Did not apply for a second warrant as the risk was not deemed high... Decided not to conduct psychopathy test"
Suspect Jeon Juhwan in the 'Sindang Station Stalking Murder' case is being transferred from the Namdaemun Police Station detention center in Jung-gu, Seoul to the prosecution on the 21st. Photo by Moon Honam munonam@

Suspect Jeon Juhwan in the 'Sindang Station Stalking Murder' case is being transferred from the Namdaemun Police Station detention center in Jung-gu, Seoul to the prosecution on the 21st. Photo by Moon Honam munonam@

View original image

Regarding not applying for an arrest warrant after the second complaint, the police said it was because they judged the direct, physical risk was not high. A police official said, "The content of the second complaint did not expand compared to the first complaint case," adding, "The additional content was sending text messages urging settlement, and there was no direct visit, so the direct, physical threat was not high." Furthermore, considering the reasons for the dismissal of the first arrest warrant, the police judged that even if they applied again, it would be dismissed.


The police considered conducting the so-called psychopathy test 'PCL-R' during interviews with Jeon but decided not to proceed. A police official said, "Psychopathic crimes and stalking crimes are difficult to coexist," explaining, "Psychopaths are people who cannot maintain social relationships, but stalking crimes are a type of relational crime."



At around 7:30 a.m. on the day, the police transferred Jeon to the prosecution on charges of violating the Act on the Aggravated Punishment of Specific Crimes (retaliatory murder, etc.). When asked by reporters whether he admitted the charges, Jeon said, "I am truly sorry. I did a crazy thing." Jeon is accused of stabbing the victim with a weapon in the women's restroom at Sindang Station of the Seoul subway on the 14th.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing