King Charles III of the United Kingdom <br>Photo by AP Yonhap News

King Charles III of the United Kingdom
Photo by AP Yonhap News

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Jeong Hyunjin] According to the Guardian on the 13th (local time), King Charles III of the United Kingdom, upon his ascension, immediately notified about 100 staff members who had worked with him during his time as Prince of Wales of their dismissal.


According to the report, Sir Clive Alderton, King Charles III's chief aide, sent written notices of dismissal the previous day to personal secretaries, finance office staff, communications team members, and household staff belonging to the Prince of Wales's office. The dismissal notices were delivered while the funeral service for Elizabeth II was being held at St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh, Scotland.


In the written notice, Sir Alderton explained, "The change in King Charles III's role signifies a transformation of the Prince of Wales's office. Since the role of Clarence House (the Prince of Wales's office) is no longer needed, it will be closed." He added, "Positions for those who supported and advised King Charles III and Queen Camilla closely will be maintained." Consultations are scheduled to take place after the conclusion of Elizabeth II's funeral on the 19th, and no final decisions have been made yet.


The Guardian reported that staff had no idea about the dismissals until they received the written notices from Sir Alderton. It was understood that the Prince of Wales's office staff believed they would move to Buckingham Palace and continue working with the new king upon Charles III's ascension.


The number of staff facing dismissal is said to reach 100, including some who have worked in the Prince of Wales's office for decades, according to the Guardian. A source said, "All staff worked late every night since last Thursday (when the Queen passed away) to keep up with the schedule," adding, "All staff, including personal secretaries and senior teams, are deeply upset by the news of the dismissals."


The Prince of Wales's office stated that alternatives would be arranged for the staff scheduled for dismissal. A spokesperson for the office explained, "With Charles III's ascension to the throne last week, the Prince of Wales's office has ceased operations. While downsizing is inevitable, we are making efforts to provide new jobs to as many staff members as possible."



According to the annual report of Clarence House released in March, the Prince of Wales's office has approximately 102 full-time staff members, including 31 in the personal secretariat and 30 in the finance office.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing