Through a Press Conference: "Dialogue Continues, All Union Members on 24-Hour Emergency Standby"
"Government and Ruling Party Must Also Engage in Dialogue"

[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Gong Byung-sun] The Korean Confederation of Trade Unions (KCTU) National Courier Workers' Union (Courier Union) has decided to pursue both dialogue and struggle simultaneously. They also urged not only CJ Logistics but also the government and the ruling party to engage in dialogue.


On the 24th at 10 a.m., the Courier Union held a press conference in front of the CJ Logistics headquarters, stating that "Chairman Jin Kyung-ho's health, who has been on a hunger strike for four days, is rapidly deteriorating," and announced that they would begin talks with the CJ Logistics Agency Union (Agency Union) from 1 p.m. that day. A representative of the Courier Union said, "Chairman Jin is so dizzy that it is difficult for him to even sit down and complains of chest tightness," but added, "Chairman Jin firmly stated that he cannot stop the hunger strike in order to achieve social implementation."


Regarding the dialogue with the Agency Union, the representative added, "We conveyed that we want to advance the time to enable faster and more sincere dialogue." Earlier, the delegations from both the Courier Union and the Agency Union met at the protest site the previous day, held a 30-minute meeting, and announced that they would mutually work to end the strike and resume talks after reviewing the demands of both labor and management. Separately from labor-management talks, the Courier Union said, "All 7,000 union members have gathered in front of the CJ Logistics headquarters to stand by 24 hours a day to protect Chairman Jin."


Urging Government and Ruling Party to Participate in Dialogue... Seoul Central District Court to Decide on Injunction Application by Early Next Week

They demanded that not only CJ Logistics but also the government and the ruling party participate in dialogue. At the press conference held at 1 p.m. that day, the Courier Union stated, "The Moon Jae-in administration and the ruling party remain silent about the chaos caused by CJ Logistics not adhering to the social agreement," and said, "CJ Logistics, the government, and the ruling party must immediately engage in dialogue."


The strike by the Courier Union, which has continued since December 28 of last year, intensified this month. On the 10th, about 200 union members staged a surprise occupation of the CJ Logistics headquarters lobby and offices. During this process, glass doors were broken, and injuries occurred. CJ Logistics responded strongly to the surprise occupation by the Courier Union. On the 10th, CJ Logistics filed a complaint with the Namdaemun Police Station in Seoul against the union members who occupied the headquarters, charging them with trespassing and property damage, and reported union members who violated quarantine rules during the occupation to the Infectious Disease Control Department of Jung-gu Office, Seoul.


Additionally, CJ Logistics filed an injunction request to prohibit the KCTU National Courier Workers' Union from occupying the headquarters. On the 23rd, the Civil Division 51 of the Seoul Central District Court (Presiding Judge Jeon Bo-seong) stated that if both the management and the Courier Union submit written materials by the 25th, a decision regarding the injunction application would be made early next week. The court also said it would reach a conclusion next week regarding the injunction application filed by CJ Group Chairman Lee Jae-hyun’s neighbors near his residence in Jangchung-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul, and CJ CheilJedang against the Courier Union to prohibit interference.





This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing