'Underage Sexual Assault' Second Son of British Queen Reaches 20 Billion Won Settlement with Victim (Comprehensive)
Sudden Settlement One Month Before Trial
No Mention of Admission of Charges
Yeowang Likely to Pay Settlement Amount
Prince Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom
[Image source=AP Yonhap News]
[Asia Economy Reporter Cho Hyun-ui] Prince Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom, who was facing a civil trial on charges of sexually assaulting a minor, is reported to have reached a settlement with the victim on the condition of paying nearly 20 billion KRW.
The British daily The Telegraph reported on the 15th (local time) that the total amount Prince Andrew agreed to pay to the victim Virginia Giuffre and the victim's charity exceeds 12 million pounds (approximately 19.5 billion KRW).
The Telegraph stated that the Queen would supplement Prince Andrew’s settlement money with income from the Duchy of Lancaster, her private estate. Other local media also echoed that "the Queen has paid Prince Andrew’s legal fees so far" and "she will also cover the settlement amount."
Earlier that day, both parties announced through a joint statement that they had reached a settlement before the civil lawsuit proceeded. However, the amount of the settlement was not disclosed. The Telegraph said, "The terms of the deal prohibit either side from publicly commenting on the case or the settlement itself."
It is reported that after at least 10 days of negotiations, the final agreement was reached over the weekend of the 12th to 13th. When the date for Prince Andrew to be questioned by the opposing counsel was set for March 10, Prince Andrew’s side changed strategy and sought a settlement.
◆"Regret over friendship with Epstein" = Prince Andrew is accused of sexually assaulting Giuffre, who was a minor aged 17 at the time, multiple times in New York and London in 2001, together with American billionaire Jeffrey Epstein. In the civil complaint filed with the New York federal court, Giuffre claimed that Prince Andrew sexually assaulted her without consent, knowing she was a minor and a victim of Epstein’s sex trafficking.
Prince Andrew made no mention in his statement on whether he admits to the allegations. However, he said, "I regret my friendship with Epstein, who trafficked countless girls," and "I commend the bravery of Giuffre and other victims."
Prince Andrew calling Giuffre a "brave person" contrasts with his legal team’s statement last October that "Giuffre filed a baseless lawsuit for financial gain." He added, "I had no intention of publicly disparaging Giuffre" and "I acknowledge that Giuffre has suffered as a victim of abuse and public attacks."
This settlement was reached about a month before Prince Andrew was scheduled to testify in a New York court. The NYT said, "The settlement was reached relatively quickly," noting it was six months since Giuffre filed the lawsuit.
◆Effectively giving up royal return = Since the scandal fully erupted in 2019, Prince Andrew has denied the allegations while suspending all official duties as a member of the royal family. In January, he was stripped of his military titles and no longer performs public duties or uses the title "His Royal Highness" in official settings.
Hot Picks Today
If They Fail Next Year, Bonus Drops to 97 Million Won... A Closer Look at Samsung Electronics DS Division’s 600M vs 460M vs 160M Performance Bonuses
- Opening a Bank Account in Korea Is Too Difficult..."Over 150,000 Won in Notarization Fees Just for a Child's Account and Debit Card" [Foreigner K-Finance Status]②
- New Zealand to Cut 8,700 Civil Servants...14% Reduction Deemed 'Unsustainable and Unviable'
- Room Prices Soar from 60,000 to 760,000 Won and Sudden Cancellations: "We Won't Even Buy Water in Busan" — BTS Fans Outraged
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
The Telegraph reported, "As recently as the end of last year, Prince Andrew privately expressed a desire to clear his 'stigma' as a sex offender and return to public service, but he has now accepted that he must live with lifelong disgrace because of this case."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.