Is the 'Youth Quarantine Pass' Proceeding as Planned Despite '290,000 Strong Opposition'?
Adolescents aged 12-18 to be subject to 'Quarantine Pass' from February next year... Over 290,000 oppose as of 7th
Ministry of Education designates Feb 13-24 as 'Intensive Vaccination Support Week'
Kim Boo-kyum: "Vaccination can no longer be optional"... Students and parents protest "Effectively mandatory vaccination"
On the 5th, a notice allowing entry only to fully vaccinated individuals was posted at the entrance of a karaoke room in Jongno-gu, Seoul. [Image source=Yonhap News]
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Soyoung] "I can't even tell my child to get vaccinated? Why is there such a rush to vaccinate children?", "They say not to worry, but I still do."
On the 3rd, the government announced special COVID-19 prevention measures, strengthening restrictions on private gatherings starting from midnight on the 6th and expanding the application of the vaccine pass (proof of vaccination or negative test). This includes most multi-use facilities such as restaurants and cafes, as well as places frequently used by youth like academies, PC rooms, and libraries.
Since the vaccination rate among adolescents is still low, the government decided to allow a grace period of about eight weeks to encourage vaccination during this time. According to the Central Disease Control Headquarters as of midnight on the 6th, among 2,768,836 children and adolescents aged 12 to 17, 48.3% (1,337,880) have received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Among those aged 16 to 17, 588,673 have completed the second dose, and among those aged 12 to 15, 276,267 have done so, resulting in a full vaccination rate of only 31.2%.
Accordingly, from February next year, adolescents aged 12 to 18, born from January 1, 2003, to December 31, 2009, will also be subject to the vaccine pass.
Regarding this, Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum urged at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting on the 6th, "The strengthened prevention measures are decisions to reduce the surge in cases reaching 5,000 per day, reorganize hospital bed operations, and prepare for the threat of the newly emerged Omicron variant. I earnestly ask for the understanding and cooperation of the public."
He continued, "Some people raise issues about the vaccine pass being expanded to most multi-use facilities," adding, "The vaccine pass is not an unfair discrimination but a minimum promise that we all must keep to protect the community. Vaccination can no longer be a choice," he emphasized.
As the government effectively hinted at 'mandatory vaccination,' resistance is emerging in various places. Petitions opposing the expanded application of the vaccine pass have received over 250,000 signatures within ten days. As of 3 p.m. on the 7th, the number exceeded 300,000.
On the 26th of last month, a petition opposing the expansion of the quarantine pass was posted. Photo by Cheongwadae National Petition Board
View original imageOn the 26th of last month, a petition titled "Strongly Oppose the Vaccine Pass (also known as the Prevention Pass) Once Again" was posted on the Blue House's public petition board. The petitioner, a high school sophomore living in Suseong-gu, Daegu, expressed, "I have not even received the first dose due to anxiety about side effects," and lamented, "I don't understand why there is such a frenzy to expand the vaccine pass."
They added, "I will never painfully get this dangerous vaccine until a verified vaccine is available," and strongly demanded the withdrawal of the vaccine pass expansion policy.
Office worker Mr. Park (42) said, "Honestly, if I let my child get vaccinated at my discretion and something happens, I don't think I could overcome the guilt," and confessed, "I'm waiting for the child to want it first. The vaccine pass is indeed a burden."
Kim (15), a middle school student in the metropolitan area, also said, "I agreed to the petition opposing the vaccine pass. I could relate to all of them," and expressed frustration, "I believe vaccination should never be forced. Please listen to us."
Recently, anxiety about adolescent vaccination increased after news spread that an elementary school student diagnosed with acute leukemia five days after vaccination had parents appealing for blood donations.
However, the government, aware of such concerns, still intends to encourage vaccination. On the 6th, Prime Minister Kim dismissed concerns on KBS radio's 'Choi Kyung-young's Strong Current Affairs,' saying, "There seems to be distrust among parents, but when we vaccinated this year's college entrance exam students, there were almost no serious aftereffects. One person died about 80 days later, but that student had acute leukemia."
Some strongly oppose on the grounds of 'infringement of the right to learn,' as unvaccinated students face restrictions on entering academies and study rooms. Some academies have already begun responding by posting notices that vaccination completion is required to attend winter vacation special lectures.
Notice of Mandatory Quarantine Pass When Entering the Library posted in front of Jeongdok Library in Seoul on the 6th. [Image source=Yonhap News]
View original imageConcerns have been raised that the timing of the first dose overlaps with final exams, leading to calls for postponing the vaccine pass application. However, health authorities have drawn a line, stating they have no plans to consider this. Son Young-rae, head of the Social Strategy Division at the Central Accident Response Headquarters of the Ministry of Health and Welfare, explained, "Considering the value of protecting adolescents from COVID-19 infection, we see the public interest aspect of vaccination as greater," and added, "We are not considering postponing the implementation of the adolescent vaccine pass."
However, the government announced it would promote student vaccinations after final exams in mid-month. According to the Ministry of Education and the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education, most middle and high schools finish final exams around the 17th. Accordingly, the Ministry of Education designated the two weeks from the 13th to the 24th as the 'Intensive Vaccination Support Week.'
Regarding this, Prime Minister Kim said, "You don't need to worry too much about aftereffects. Medical institutions are well prepared to allow vaccinations after final exams."
The Ministry of Education started a school-level vaccine demand survey through the 'Health Status Self-Diagnosis App' from the 6th to the 8th to increase vaccination rates among children and adolescents. The health authorities plan to establish vaccination plans based on the survey results.
Hot Picks Today
Up to 600 Million Won for Semiconductors, 160 Million Won Bonus for Loss-Making Non-Memory… Samsung Electronics Labor and Management Reach Tentative Deal on Unprecedented Performance Compensation (Comprehensive)
- "Could I Also Receive 370 Billion Won?"... No Limit on 'Stock Manipulation Whistleblower Rewards' Starting the 26th
- "From a 70 Million Won Loss to a 350 Million Won Profit with Samsung and SK hynix"... 'Stock Jackpot' Grandfather Gains Attention
- [Exclusive] 450 Billion Won Korean Investment at Risk as Canadian PE Moves to Acquire US Ascend for $99.2 Million
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
Meanwhile, over 60 organizations, including the National Parents' Association, have announced a protest rally on the 9th in front of the Ministry of Education and the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency, demanding the withdrawal of the adolescent vaccine pass.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.