Japanese Government Expected to Lose 2nd Comfort Women Lawsuit; South Korean Ambassador in Japan Preparing for Summons
Ahead of the Seoul Central District Court's Comfort Women Victims Lawsuit Ruling on the 21st
Preparing to Recall Ambassador Kang Chang-il to Japan Considering Possible Defeat
[Asia Economy Reporter Kwon Jae-hee] It has been revealed that the Japanese government was preparing to summon Kang Chang-il, the South Korean ambassador to Japan, ahead of the Seoul Central District Court's ruling on the comfort women victims' lawsuit on the 21st, anticipating a possible loss.
According to the Asahi Shimbun on the 22nd, the Japanese government, the defendant in the lawsuit, initially expected a ruling similar to the one in January this year, which did not accept 'sovereign immunity' (state immunity) and recognized the Japanese government's liability for compensation.
Previously, on January 18, the Civil Division 34 of the Seoul Central District Court (then presided over by Chief Judge Kim Jeong-gon) ruled in favor of the plaintiffs, 12 comfort women victims including the late Bae Chun-hee, excluding sovereign immunity in the damages claim lawsuit against the Japanese government.
The main reason for the ruling was that sovereign immunity could not be applied to Japan's past illegal acts.
However, another division of the Seoul Central District Court handling lawsuits filed by other comfort women victims, Civil Division 15 (presided over by Chief Judge Min Seong-cheol), recognized Japan's sovereign immunity and dismissed the plaintiffs' claims the day before.
This means that within just over three months, virtually opposite rulings were made on the same issue.
Regarding this, the Asahi Shimbun reported that the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs also saw a high possibility of losing this time and that Deputy Minister Takeo Akiba was prepared to summon Ambassador Kang immediately after the ruling to lodge a protest.
The Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which refused to respond to the lawsuit itself by invoking the principle of sovereign immunity, strongly protested by summoning Nam Gwan-pyo, then South Korean ambassador to Japan, when the ruling ordering Japan's compensation was issued in January.
Also, on January 23, when the first ruling was finalized due to Japan's withdrawal of the appeal, Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi issued a statement claiming it was a 'violation of international law.'
Foreign Minister Motegi expressed satisfaction with the ruling favorable to the Japanese government at the House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee the day before.
He said, "This ruling is based on the Japanese government's position and is appropriate," adding, "South Korea must correct its violation of international law as a state."
He further added, "We expect a forward-looking proposal from the Korean side."
The Japanese government argues that a series of historical issues, including comfort women and forced labor victims, were resolved through the 1965 Korea-Japan Claims Agreement and the 2015 Korea-Japan Foreign Ministers' 'Comfort Women Agreement,' and thus judicial decisions by South Korea that contradict these agreements violate international law.
Foreign Minister Motegi reiterated his stance to uphold this argument.
An official from the Japanese Prime Minister's Office was also reported to have said, "The tide has turned."
This statement is interpreted as indicating that the perception that Japan's claims are gaining traction in South Korea is spreading within the Japanese government.
On the other hand, it is also known that there is considerable caution within the Japanese government, emphasizing that they should not be overly optimistic.
The Asahi Shimbun reported that due to the background of the issue continuing after the change of government in South Korea despite the 2015 agreement between the two countries on the 'final and irreversible resolution' of the comfort women issue, the Japanese government is closely watching how the South Korean government will respond to this ruling.
Hot Picks Today
If They Fail Next Year, Bonus Drops to 97 Million Won... A Closer Look at Samsung Electronics DS Division’s 600M vs 460M vs 160M Performance Bonuses
- Opening a Bank Account in Korea Is Too Difficult..."Over 150,000 Won in Notarization Fees Just for a Child's Account and Debit Card" [Foreigner K-Finance Status]②
- SpaceX Pursues 'Largest Ever' Mega IPO... Profitability of Space Business Still Unclear
- Room Prices Soar from 60,000 to 760,000 Won and Sudden Cancellations: "We Won't Even Buy Water in Busan" — BTS Fans Outraged
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
The Mainichi Shimbun, citing an official from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, reported that the Korea-Japan relationship has not worsened further but that the serious situation remains unchanged.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.