[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Koo Chae-eun] Regarding Google's decision to postpone the commission increase, Park Sung-joong, a member of the People Power Party, said, "I evaluate it positively," and urged Google to reduce commissions, stating, "Google should make a more progressive decision than Apple's announced reduction, not just a simple postponement."


According to the industry on the 23rd, Google decided to delay the in-app payment policy and the 30% commission fee for both new and existing apps, which was announced in September, until September 30 next year. This decision by Google was made following consultations and continuous urging by Park Sung-joong, the People Power Party whip, Lee Won-wook, chairman of the Science, ICT, Broadcasting and Communications Committee, and Cho Seung-rae, the Democratic Party whip.


Park released a statement welcoming Google's decision while mentioning that "a more progressive decision is necessary." He said, "On November 19, we urged Google to reduce the commission to below 15% to ease the burden on small and medium developers and proposed careful and sufficient discussions in advance to prevent various issues expected upon the passage of the law."


He added, "However, this alone is not enough. Google's policy should not merely be postponed; it must be decided in a more progressive manner than Apple's announced reduction in any form, such as commission cuts, to ensure that the interests of developers and consumers do not conflict."



Park also stated, "All members of the People Power Party's Science, ICT, Broadcasting and Communications Committee will continue to do their best until the end to create a mutually beneficial ecosystem in accordance with international norms in future discussions, just as we have done so far."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing