Yoo Seung-min Officially Announces Presidential Bid: "I Have Never Considered Nor Seen Any Possibility of Becoming Seoul Mayor"
Yoo Seung-min Opens First Presidential Campaign Among Opposition Candidates, Expresses Determination to Challenge
Former lawmaker Yoo Seung-min is giving a greeting at a press briefing held on the 18th at the 'Hope 22' office in Taeheung Building, Yeouido, Seoul. This press briefing was held for the first time in about nine months since the press conference announcing his decision not to run in the general election on February 9. Photo by Yoon Dong-joo doso7@
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Hyemin] Former People Power Party lawmaker Yoo Seung-min, who returned to Yeouido after about six months, became the first opposition presidential candidate to establish a presidential campaign office, reaffirming his intention to run in the 2022 presidential election. He emphasized that the immediate task is to win back the hearts of voters who supported the Lee Myung-bak and Park Geun-hye administrations but turned away after the impeachment, and vowed to play a role in securing victory in next year's by-elections and the upcoming presidential election. However, he drew a line regarding calls from inside and outside the party to run in the Seoul mayoral by-election.
On the morning of the 18th, Yoo held a press conference at his office "Hope22" in Yeouido, Seoul, stating, "I have expressed my intention to run for president several times, and I am about to start such efforts," marking the beginning of his full-fledged presidential campaign. This is the first time an opposition presidential candidate has set up an office that effectively serves as a presidential campaign headquarters and officially declared a presidential bid.
After the 20th National Assembly ended, Yoo had been keeping a low profile but recently reopened an office across from the National Assembly and resumed political activities. He held an opening ceremony and a debate session on the 16th to mark his political comeback, and by holding the press conference on this day, he publicly declared the start of his presidential campaign.
Yoo emphasized that regime change is the top priority and identified winning back the hearts of voters who left after supporting the party as an immediate task. He said, "When former Presidents Lee Myung-bak and Park Geun-hye were elected, those people supported our candidates, but after the impeachment, they left. We must win back their hearts. If I have a role to play by returning to the party, I believe it is to devote everything I have to winning back their hearts and creating hope for victory in next year's by-elections and the 2022 presidential election."
He added, "What they want is simple. They want a sound and reformist conservative party that embraces the reasonable thoughts of centrists and progressives to create a fair society. If conservative governments have been incompetent in protecting the economy and security, there is a significant desire for capable politics that can properly revive these areas," he stressed.
Yoo said, "I want to contribute to the emergence of a capable political force that can solve these issues. I want to make the People Power Party a much cleaner and more competent political force than the current Democratic Party of Korea. I will strive to ensure the party moves in the right direction," expressing his determination.
Regarding calls within the party for him to run for Seoul mayor, Yoo drew a line, saying, "In my 21 years in politics, I have never considered running for Seoul mayor. (In the future) there will be no such possibility either." He added, "If the party leadership indirectly approaches me, I will respond, but if a good candidate is selected through a fair primary, I still intend to help that candidate win," reaffirming his stance.
Hot Picks Today
If They Fail Next Year, Bonus Drops to 97 Million Won... A Closer Look at Samsung Electronics DS Division’s 600M vs 460M vs 160M Performance Bonuses
- Opening a Bank Account in Korea Is Too Difficult..."Over 150,000 Won in Notarization Fees Just for a Child's Account and Debit Card" [Foreigner K-Finance Status]②
- Hundreds of Billions Stolen with Twin USIMs... 32 Members of Chinese Hacking Group Apprehended
- Room Prices Soar from 60,000 to 760,000 Won and Sudden Cancellations: "We Won't Even Buy Water in Busan" — BTS Fans Outraged
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
He also said, "I do not agree with the atmosphere that undervalues those in our party who want to become Seoul mayor. The person coming from the ruling party is a Democratic Party lawmaker and a current minister. What great honor is it to have been a minister under the Moon administration?" cautioning against internal criticism.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.