[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Cho Hyun-ui] On the 4th, North Korea dismissed the possibility of a North Korea-US summit before the US presidential election in November through a statement by Choe Son-hui, First Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs.


According to the Korean Central News Agency, Vice Minister Choe stated in the statement released that day, "There is no need to sit down with the United States, which only regards North Korea-US dialogue as a tool to handle their political crisis."


She also said, "Our country's policy will not be adjusted or changed according to external variables such as anyone's domestic political schedule." The phrase "anyone" is interpreted as referring to US President Donald Trump, who is facing the November election.


Attention is drawn to the fact that Vice Minister Choe's statement was released on the US Independence Day (July 4). Experts analyze that Vice Minister Choe's statement clearly indicates that North Korea will not participate in an event-driven North Korea-US summit by the Trump administration just over four months before the US presidential election, showing a determination not to be swayed by the US side's intentions.


Furthermore, it is interpreted as an attempt to clarify North Korea's position regarding recent remarks by President Moon Jae-in on mediation efforts for a third North Korea-US summit, changes in the diplomatic and security line, former US National Security Advisor John Bolton's suggestion of a possible North Korea-US summit in October this year, and US Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun's planned visit to South Korea next week, who oversees North Korea and denuclearization working-level talks.


In the statement, Vice Minister Choe said, "There are people who rashly express their willingness to mediate without any consideration of how we (North Korea), the parties involved, think." This appears to be a remark targeting the South Korean government, which has shown willingness to push for a third North Korea-US summit.


There is also speculation that the statement targeted the visit of Deputy Secretary Biegun, who is also the US Special Representative for North Korea, scheduled to visit South Korea for two nights and three days starting on the 7th of this month. Deputy Secretary Biegun, regarded as a 'key man' in US-North Korea negotiations, proposed a meeting to his North Korean counterpart during his visit to South Korea in December last year but failed to elicit any response.



North Korea is interpreted to have left room for negotiation with the United States by moderating the tone in this statement as well. There is also a forecast that the message Deputy Secretary Biegun will deliver during his visit next week will have some influence on North Korea's next course of action. However, considering North Korea's passive stance toward US negotiations since the Hanoi no-deal in February last year and the content of this statement, it is uncertain whether a meeting between the two sides will be realized immediately.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing