US State Department: "Defense cost-sharing talks, all communication lines active"... Trump says "Agreement with Korea" just one day ago
Pressure to increase by '50%' and criticism of Korean workers' 'unpaid leave' amid public opinion... Repeated emphasis on the ROK-US alliance
Regarding Korean workers' unpaid leave, "Even without unpaid leave, it would have been difficult to work due to COVID-19"
[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Cheol-young] Clark Cooper, U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Political-Military Affairs, stated that negotiations on the Special Measures Agreement (SMA) for the U.S.-South Korea defense cost-sharing are ongoing through various channels. This came just one day after President Donald Trump claimed that South Korea had agreed to a significant increase in defense cost contributions. In response to concerns both domestically and internationally about potential damage to the U.S.-South Korea alliance, Cooper emphasized that no one wants to see the alliance harmed and sought to ease tensions.
On the 8th (local time), Deputy Assistant Secretary Cooper held a virtual press briefing and, when asked about the progress of the defense cost negotiations, said, "Communication between the two countries has not stopped, and healthy consultations are continuing," adding, "All lines of communication are open and active, including President Trump, President Moon Jae-in, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, James DeHart, the U.S. lead negotiator for defense cost-sharing, and Ambassador Jung Eun-bo, the South Korean lead negotiator."
Following President Trump's statement the previous day that South Korea had agreed to a substantial increase in defense contributions, speculation arose regarding the negotiation status. It was widely interpreted that the U.S. began to pressure South Korea again to gain leverage in the stalled negotiations after South Korea's working-level team rejected a tentative agreement. Through senior U.S. administration officials, it was confirmed that the U.S. proposed a counteroffer of $1.3 billion (approximately 1.592 trillion KRW), which is more than 50% higher than last year. This figure far exceeds the 13% increase that the U.S.-South Korea negotiation teams had tentatively agreed upon at the end of March.
Regarding concerns about readiness due to the forced unpaid leave of about 4,000 South Korean workers employed by the U.S. Forces Korea, Cooper responded that the U.S.-South Korea alliance remains strong and that the delay in defense cost negotiations is not the reason for the unpaid leave. He suggested that the spread of COVID-19 likely made it difficult for Korean workers to work normally. The U.S. Forces Korea implemented forced unpaid leave starting April 1 due to the delay in defense cost negotiations.
Deputy Assistant Secretary Cooper expressed that he does not wish for the unpaid leave situation to be prolonged, stating, "In the short term, the workers on unpaid leave probably could not come to work due to COVID-19," and emphasized, "There is no change in the recognition of the need for a prompt agreement, and whether in Washington or Seoul, no one wants erosion of the alliance." He added, "We are looking for acceptable space to approach a new U.S.-South Korea SMA," and "Communication between the two countries has never stopped."
Cooper's remarks appear to be mindful of criticism that the U.S., after rejecting the tentative agreement and enforcing unpaid leave, has started demanding a significant increase again. He also mentioned, "There are several other factors to be addressed within South Korea, and we are well aware of them."
Earlier, Mark Naeper, U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs, announced that the U.S. requested $1.3 billion in defense cost-sharing from South Korea, an amount more than 50% higher than last year's 1.0389 trillion KRW. Subsequently, President Trump stated, "South Korea has agreed to pay a substantial amount. It is appreciated," effectively confirming the large increase.
In response, the South Korean government dismissed the claim, stating that negotiations are ongoing and nothing has been agreed upon. Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, appearing before the National Assembly Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee on the 28th of last month, firmly stated, "That amount (a 13% increase) is the highest possible level for us," and Foreign Ministry spokesperson Kim In-cheol said, "The negotiation results must be acceptable to both sides. To be acceptable, it must be reasonable and fair from either side's perspective."
Hot Picks Today
"Could I Also Receive 370 Billion Won?"... No Limit on 'Stock Manipulation Whistleblower Rewards' Starting the 26th
- Samsung Electronics Labor-Management Reach Agreement, General Strike Postponed... "Deficit-Business Unit Allocation Deferred for One Year"
- "From a 70 Million Won Loss to a 350 Million Won Profit with Samsung and SK hynix"... 'Stock Jackpot' Grandfather Gains Attention
- "Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.