Former President Jeon Du-hwan is entering the courthouse on the 27th to appear as a defendant at the Gwangju District Court. [Image source=Yonhap News]

Former President Jeon Du-hwan is entering the courthouse on the 27th to appear as a defendant at the Gwangju District Court. [Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Jeong Dong-hoon] Former President Jeon Du-hwan (89), who was indicted for defamation of the deceased for dishonoring the victims of the May 18 Democratic Movement, denied the charges, stating "There was no helicopter shooting at the time."


On the afternoon of the 27th, the trial of former President Jeon, accused of defamation of the deceased, was held at Criminal Courtroom 201 of the Gwangju District Court, presided over by Chief Judge Kim Jeong-hoon of Criminal Division 8. Jeon participated in the trial wearing a hearing aid. When the judge asked if he could hear well, he shook his head from side to side, and with the help of his wife Lee Soon-ja, the court conducted a recognition examination confirming his date of birth, occupation, and residence. During the trial, he was also seen dozing off.


After the recognition examination, he closed his eyes but denied the charges. When the judge asked if he acknowledged the prosecutor's allegations, he opened his eyes and said, "As far as I know, there was no shooting from helicopters at that time." Jeon added, "If there had been shooting from helicopters, there would have been many casualties," and said, "I do not believe that reckless helicopter shooting would have been carried out by helicopter gunners, lieutenants or captains, who are sons of the Republic of Korea."


Jeon's legal representative, lawyer Jeong Ju-kyo, argued, "The helicopter shooting theory mentioned by the Ministry of National Defense's Special Investigation Committee is not true," and added, "It is an irresponsible claim by some forces trying to divide the people and distort history. It is absurd for the military to label the citizens of Gwangju as enemies." In response, an audience member protested, asking, "Then who killed the citizens of Gwangju?"


Jeon was indicted for claiming in his memoir published in April 2017 that the late Father Jo Bi-o's testimony witnessing helicopter shooting was false, and for criticizing Father Jo as "a shameless liar unworthy of being called a clergyman."



Jeon had appeared once last year for the recognition examination but had submitted a letter of absence due to health reasons and did not attend since then. However, with the change of the presiding judge, the trial procedure was renewed.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing