“Trying to Keep in Our Hearts...” The 6th Anniversary Memorial Visits for Sewol Ferry Remain Steady
Most Events Canceled Due to COVID-19... Citizens Wearing Masks Hold Individual Memorials
Rusty Sculptures and Faded Ribbons Represent Time Passed Without Truth Investigation
On the 16th, marking the 6th anniversary of the Sewol ferry disaster, mourners who visited Paengmok Port are walking along the breakwater.
View original image[Asia Economy Honam Reporting Headquarters reporters Yoon Jamin and Seo Youngseo] “April 16, 2014. That day, which was both infuriating and absurd, is still vivid in my memory.”
On the morning of the 6th anniversary of the Sewol ferry disaster, April 16, Kim Sunmi (54, female), whom we met at Paengmok Port in Jindo-gun, Jeollanam-do, spoke with a choked voice.
Kim recalled, “At the time, I was working when I heard the news through the media and heard that everyone had been rescued. I didn’t believe the claim of a full rescue, but I never imagined there would be so many casualties.”
She continued, “As the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd anniversaries passed, I thought I must come to Paengmok Port, but I couldn’t because of work and only went to Gwanghwamun. Today, on the 6th anniversary, I finally had the time to visit.”
Kim’s sorrow and determination to visit stem from the fact that her daughter was the same age as the Danwon High School students who perished in the Sewol ferry disaster. Perhaps because of this, the Sewol ferry remains deeply etched in her heart.
Seonmi Kim from Guro, Seoul is paying tribute at the Pangmok Port Memorial Hall on the 6th anniversary of the Sewol ferry disaster.
View original imageShe said with tears, “All parents’ hearts are the same. I’m sorry to the children for coming here so late.”
She added, “If my heart feels like this, I can only imagine how the bereaved families feel. We must quickly conduct a proper investigation into the Sewol ferry disaster to at least soothe the hearts of the families,” wiping her eyes.
The cold sea and fluttering wind were the same as six years ago today. In the ‘Memory Hall’ set up at one side of Paengmok Port, photos of the Danwon High School students were still hanging, and a video continuously called out the names of each victim. Time at Paengmok Port seemed to have stopped on that day six years ago.
Six years later, the scene was marked by rusty memorials and faded yellow ribbons.
On the 16th, marking the 6th anniversary of the Sewol ferry disaster, faded yellow ribbons are fluttering at Paengmok Harbor.
View original imageLee Sungmin (55), a mourner from Imsil, Jeonbuk, said, “Every April 16, I make time to come here,” and raised his voice, “A thorough investigation must be carried out quickly, and systems must be established to prevent such large-scale disasters from happening again.”
He added, “I urge the members of the National Assembly elected in this general election to step up and work hard.”
By around noon, more mourners began arriving one after another.
Choi Yonggam, who came with his family, took a walk around Paengmok Port, finished paying respects at the Memory Hall, and wrote in the guestbook, “I pray that all the truth will be clearly revealed. May you be happy in heaven...”
At Mokpo New Port, where the Sewol ferry hull is docked, mourners continued to visit.
On the 16th, marking the 6th anniversary of the Sewol ferry disaster, mourners who visited Mokpo New Port are looking at the Sewol ferry hull that is docked.
View original imageAlthough all large-scale events were canceled due to COVID-19, citizens wore masks and visited individually to pay their respects.
At 10 a.m., the Mokpo Regional Joint Action Committee held a simple ‘6th Anniversary Memorial Ceremony for the Sewol Ferry Disaster’ in front of the Sewol ferry hull, demanding a thorough investigation and punishment of those responsible.
Hot Picks Today
"Could I Also Receive 370 Billion Won?"... No Limit on 'Stock Manipulation Whistleblower Rewards' Starting the 26th
- Samsung Electronics Labor-Management Reach Agreement, General Strike Postponed... "Deficit-Business Unit Allocation Deferred for One Year"
- "From a 70 Million Won Loss to a 350 Million Won Profit with Samsung and SK hynix"... 'Stock Jackpot' Grandfather Gains Attention
- "Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
Im Gitae (61) said, “As six years have passed, memories have faded, and pledges and promises have rusted. I came here to reaffirm my commitment. I will not forget the children and will keep them in my heart.”
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.