5th Confirmed COVID-19 Case Visited CGV Theater
Nearby Residents Fear Secondary Infection... Theater Reservations Canceled

On the 31st, a notice announcing the suspension of operations was posted at CGV Sungshin Women's University Entrance in Seongbuk-gu, Seoul, where a confirmed COVID-19 patient had visited. [Yonhap News]

On the 31st, a notice announcing the suspension of operations was posted at CGV Sungshin Women's University Entrance in Seongbuk-gu, Seoul, where a confirmed COVID-19 patient had visited. [Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Han Seung-gon] It has been confirmed that the 5th confirmed case of the novel coronavirus infection (Wuhan pneumonia) visited the CGV cinema at Sungshin Women's University Station in Seongbuk-gu, Seoul. The CGV at Sungshin Women's University has decided to temporarily suspend operations until this weekend.


According to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), the 5th confirmed patient, Mr. Lee (32), watched the movie 'The Man Standing Next' at the CGV cinema at Sungshin Women's University Station in Seongbuk-gu, Seoul, on the 25th.


He had visited Wuhan, China for business and returned to Korea on the 24th. After experiencing asthma and coughing, he was under KCDC surveillance and was diagnosed positive for Wuhan pneumonia on the 30th, after which he was isolated at Seoul Medical Center.


It is known that this patient watched movies or had meals with more than three people from the 25th to the 28th. Given this situation, residents living around the CGV near Sungshin Women's University are concerned about the possibility of secondary infections.


The fourth confirmed case of the novel coronavirus infection, known as 'Wuhan pneumonia,' has occurred in South Korea. [Image source=Yonhap News]

The fourth confirmed case of the novel coronavirus infection, known as 'Wuhan pneumonia,' has occurred in South Korea. [Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


Previously, the 6th confirmed patient had never been to Wuhan but was infected with the novel coronavirus after dining with the 3rd confirmed patient, confirming human-to-human transmission.


A man in his 30s, Mr. A, who said he commutes through the area near Sungshin Women's University CGV, expressed, "I use public transportation together with residents living here, so I can't help but worry about secondary infections."


A woman in her 20s, Ms. B, said, "An acquaintance of mine lives there," and emphasized, "I told them to be especially careful."


As the fact that a confirmed novel coronavirus patient visited the cinema became known, concerns about confirmed patients visiting other cinemas have also arisen.


Mr. C, in his 40s, who said he usually enjoys watching movies at theaters, stated, "I was planning to visit the cinema this weekend, but after hearing that a confirmed patient had been there, I canceled my plans."


Another office worker also said, "I was going to watch a movie at the cinema with acquaintances, but we all canceled," adding, "I hope the pneumonia infection concern ends as soon as possible."


Currently, ticket reservations are not being accepted at the Sungshin Women's University Station branch. Due to the temporary closure decision, movie viewing and reservations will be unavailable until the 2nd of next month.



Meanwhile, a CGV official stated on the 31st, "Due to the spread of the novel coronavirus, we have decided to close CGV Sungshin Women's University branch from today until this Sunday to strengthen internal hygiene."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing