Super Junior's Kang-in booked on assault


Korean Singer Kang-in of popular boy band Super Junior has been booked on assault, police announced on Wednesday.

"One of the victims said he was hit by Kang-in. Based on the testimonies of the accused, the charge that Kang-in was involved in the assault applies," senior police officer Gwak Jeong-ki of Seoul Gangnam Police Station said during a briefing.Police said the assault took place at around 3:30 a.m. at a bar where Kang-in was drinking with a 35-year-old businessman, identified only by his last name Roh.

They had started quarreling with two other men, who mistakenly took to Kang-in's table thinking it was theirs, when a passer-by, identified by his last name Park, took Kang-in's side and started hitting them.


"The accused say another additional two men, part of Kang-in's party, fled the scene after engaging in the assault, although we have yet to identify them. Kang-in has said he does not know who they are," Gwak added.Gwak also said the 24-year-old singer, who has suffered minor injuries, has denied being violent toward the men. Earlier in the day, SM Entertainment also said Kang-in was not involved in the case, explaining that he was only a witness at the scene.

Kang-in, a vocal of the 13-member group, has made frequent appearances on various TV shows. The band was a huge hit across Asia with "Sorry Sorry" earlier this year.

Reporter : Lee Hye-rin rinny@asiae.co.kr
Photographer : Park Sung-Ki musictok@asiae.co.kr
Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr
<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>